Welcome to THE CLUB YOU CAN'T BELONG TO

Thursday, June 12, 2008

A basket full of decisions

I talked to my dad today about the decision I need to make about freezing my eggs.  He reminded me that the 40-60% chance that my kids, if I carry the genetic gene would as well if they got it, then have a smaller percentage from that number if they actually got it.  So...I have decided I am going to do it as I am not delaying my treatment.  Even if I was, the surgeon today said that biologically it wouldn't do a thing to my cancer, waiting a few weeks.  Emotionally it is an intense place to be, if I went there.  But I am not going to because I have to stay in the present moment and be still with my decisions.  
Tonight I spoke with my Oncologist.  He is an amazing man and he said that he has been working on compiling the numbers that would help someone like me answer my question.  The one in the earlier post, am I the 75% of the 10% since I am a Triple Negative?  He said there are no stats for this yet, and to go back to the known big number.  Leaving me at 10%, which is only a 9% difference.  The short term recurrence rate is 10% if I do the lumpectomy but long term success rate is the exact thing.  I am pretty sure I am going to go for the lumpectomy because I can always go to the mastectomy if the caner returns.  I have a 90 % chance that it won't.  D posed a question to me today.  If the cancer was in my leg with the exact same sats what would I do?  I didn't have to think, I'd keep the leg.  My surgery is scheduled for July 1st.  I have a few weeks to decide.  

No comments: