Welcome to THE CLUB YOU CAN'T BELONG TO

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Genes and not much more..

Today was my genetics appointment with the Genetics Counselor Robert Resta, or as he suggested Your Majesty.  Great guy, D and I loved talking with him.  He thinks that I do not have any of the genes that caused this cancer. He said that one week he is right the other week my Oncologist is right.  It is such a new science that they are learning new things each day and sometimes they just don't have any answers for you.  Unless you have one of six known genes.  He is certain I do not have four of the genes.  That leaves BRCA 1 and BRCA 2.  The test will take between two and three weeks to get the results.  I know, everyone is wondering if this cancer is so aggressive why haven't I had surgery yet.  Well, we needed to get the results from last week and this week.  My appointment with my Surgeon is on Thursday, he is coming in before hours to meet with us as he is slammed.  We'll be crossing the bridge over to Bellevue around 6 A.M.  
The thing is is that me getting cancer at age 33 is uncommon but this is starting to happen more or more.  Or the Doc's are just starting to look for it and are catching it more and more. Plus I am a Triple Negative so this points towards a gene, or a mutated gene so I betcha the Surgeon will want to wait to get my results.  I hope not, but who know's.  I am in the best hands in this city, and am putting their suggestions in their hands.  Whatever they tell me to do, I am going to do.  The cancer has probably been in my body for a while, and waiting two more weeks to make sure I do not have the BRCA's is a good idea.  No need to have one surgery and then have to go back in and have another breast removed.  Plus, I am totally speculating that my right breast will need to be taken off.  It is just moving in that direction.  I will know more on Thursday. 
 I also got an Eccho Cardio Gram done today.  I think that is what it is called.  It's an ultrasound of my heart.  It enababled the Doc's to know if I have a heart murmur, (I don't think I have one) and it also gives my Doc's a base line.  This might be because some Chemo treatments are hard on the heart. If my treatment does get hard on my heart they will be able compare my heart to pre-chemo to make sure I am okay.  I am just going through the days now.  Like a little ant.  I have a specific trail that I have to follow home and I am now done with this bit of testing!! Yeah!!

2 comments:

Brianna said...

Very informative! This blog is a wonderful thing for others to read.And so well written...

I love you, Sweetheart!

Mom

Sheila and Keith said...

dioncDear Heather,

Sharing your story in such a personal yet informative way is sure to help bring the awareness necessary that young women like yourself can also have breast cancer. Thank you for writing about your journey.
I admire how you and D are dealing with all of this, my thoughts and prayers are with you always,
love, Sheila (Mom's Cdn Friend).