Welcome to THE CLUB YOU CAN'T BELONG TO

Thursday, July 17, 2008

For anyone questioning me....

This is one of the many letters I have gotten lately. I thought it was good and so here it is:


Forum: Welcome New Members

Posted By: MarieM


Heather - Please be very careful about going back to work right now.

1. DON'T go back until your doctor clears you.

2. DON"T go back until YOU physically and mentally feel up to it. I am a LMP and I know how much energy you can expend treating other people.

3. When you go back - approach this kind of work with caution. You should discuss with your doctor YOUR risk of lymphedema. I know women who have this just from radiation treatments (no surgery at all). With having axillary lymph nodes removed, you ARE at risk. This will end your massage career if you get it!

4. Don't expect to have your old "normal" life. There a phrase i've heard that is "new normal". You will survive this, and you will go on to love and laugh and hopefully raise children, but you will NEVER be the same as you were. This is not a bad thing. I'm so grateful for the growth I've experienced as a result of this horrible disease. I'm grateful for the growth in my relationship with my partner. He has had his ups and downs dealing with this believe me, but I have seen so much growth in him as a person, as my partner, and in all our relationships.

5. Get a copy of "Breast Cancer Husband" by Marc Silver. Ask your hubby to read, and read it yourself as well! It has amazing insights from interviews with many cancer patients and their partners.

6. AC is a very powerful treatment. Very few people are up to working much during this treatment. Most people experience extreme fatigue and low blood counts. Protect your immune system!!

7. If finances are an issue, see if there's a social worker at the place you're being treated. They are a wealth of information regarding financial programs, grants, etc that you may qualify for.

8. You ARE a survivor!!

sorry sorry sorry for the rant. It's just so important that you take really good care of yourself.
M

No comments: