Welcome to THE CLUB YOU CAN'T BELONG TO

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

It's out!

Where to start?  We headed over to Overlake hospital in the morning, traffic wasn't bad so we got got there early.  We went to Whole Foods and I sat salivating watching D and his mom eat a breakfast burrito.  Once we got there, they ushered us through the whole pre-surgery stuff pretty quickly.  At 11 I got this new kindof of radioactive isotope injected four times into my breast.  I then had to massage it for 12 minutes to get the dye to move into my lymph nodes.  
My Doc came in and said, "Are you ready to get cured?"  D, his mom, and I all started crying.  I didn't realize until he said that how afraid I have been lately.  It is really hard to go a whole month without talking to a Doctor who is so positive.  I've been cooped up reading books with everyone else's stats and the outcomes are not very bright sometimes.  So, it felt super good to have him come in and remind me that I am going to be cured.  And this breast cancer is only fleeting.  
Before they wheeled me in to the operating room, D gave my nurse the instructions on how to use our camera.  We have great pictures.  The last thing I remember was looking up at my surgeon who was gently looking down at me, and I started crying and saying, "Thanks for doing this surgery for me."  I was in the very best hands possible and that is something that transcends all the fear that had been circulating around me.  I was still in the surgery room I think, I was so out of it.  But I remember hearing my surgeon say, "We didn't find any cancer in your lymph nodes."  Of coarse they are being biopsied (is that a word) and this news may change.  But I am not going there.  I don't want anything to rain on this parade.  That is the best news I have had in a long time.  
When I got back into the room, and D told me again they don't think they found any cancer in my nodes.  There was such a joy and a huge weight was lifted from our shoulders.  D told me that my Dad had come up and I was again overjoyed.  I really needed that parental love and holding, and comfort yesterday.  I am going to go, I am starting to feel sick again.  I just wanted to do a little check in.

6 comments:

tamara said...

HOOOOORAAAAYYYYY!!!!!
:)
Marvin is doing extra hops of happiness because the whole house is overjoyed with the great news! Your hive of healthy lymph nodes kicks ASS.

Kristen said...

We are glad to hear the great news! We are thinking about you! Lots of love.

apriljahns said...

W00-FREAKIN'-HOO!!!!

Edna Bishop said...

WAY TO GO GIRL - WHAT A HUGE RELIEF FOR YOU ~ BUT ALSO FOR ALL OF US WHO CARE SOOOOO MUCH FOR YOU. :)

Tink1272 said...

Yay! Great news!

mona said...

I am crying tears of joy for you dear sister! Rainbow light abound!
Love you Heather.
moona