Welcome to THE CLUB YOU CAN'T BELONG TO

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Mammo Or Ultra Sound

I was trying to wait to post until after my Oncology appointment today, but I just can't wait.  I just got an email from a old massage client (that got married and moved away) and she is about my age, maybe a few years older.  She said that she scheduled a mammo for herself on the 9th of August.  I feel like I need to explain what happened to me, so that you younger ladies understand how important it is to not just do a mammo.

Okay, Luckily that nice MD that said, "Hey, lets go have you checked out."  Made in her referral for me, to have an Ultrasound.  She also said for me to make sure I had this done.  What happens is that young women's breast that haven't had the effect of gravity pulling on your boobs for years or from kids breast feeding, whih gives us denser breast tissue.  Even if you have breast fed, if your young your breast still can be dense.  When breast tissue is dense mammo's do not pick up tumor's that well.  In fact, mine didn't at all.  For all that know me, when I say I put up a fight, I mean I did.  Even with the prescription, they didn't want to give me an ultrasound.  Procedure is mammo first then if there is a problem, then you get ultrasound. I told them that I wanted my ultrasound first, because I was afraid if it didn't show up on the mammo that they wouldn't give me it, or insurance wouldn't pay for the ultrasound.  
I got the ultrasound, and that is what showed the lump.  So, ladies, when you go, make sure you have your Doctor write on their little prescription pad, for you to get an Ultra Sound TOO!  And if snubbed, demand it to be done.  This is your life, and your health care.  You have the right to ask for anything you want.  If you feel weird doing this just remember,  This saved my life!

No comments: