Welcome to THE CLUB YOU CAN'T BELONG TO

Monday, August 4, 2008

More Treatments?

My job, as I see it now it to get better, and to learn as much information about my disease. Me, a Triple Negative 33 year old, stage 1, TC1. Yesterday, a new study came out showing that there was a 27% increased survival rate for women whose cancer may have spread into other parts of their body, if given Taxol weekly for 12 consecutive weeks. OH! MY!! That means on Wednesday, I need to go into my Oncologist when I see him, armed with this study and talk to him about it. I want that 27% chance. I want it. I cannot believe that I would ask for more chemo. A whole months more at that.
Yes, no one knows if my cancer has spread. Didn't I do those scans you ask? Yes, I did. But all those incredible space age scans only show cancer that is bigger than a mm. So, any microscopic cancer that is freely floating around in my body is going undetected. My tumor wasn't contained, it was Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. That word, Invasive and being a TN-the nasty Aggressive form that it is, in MY mind, tells me that it is HIGHLY likely that I have free floating cancer cells in my body. Tumors have to live, and my tumor was living for however long it was-no one will ever be able to tell me- living off of my blood in my body. So, it is a no brainer to me to ONE do chemo in the first place, and to ask for more chemo. My ONC. probably has already read this article, but just in case I am bringing it in to him. I don't ever intend on doing chemo again. I want to try as hard as I can this first time, and if it comes back deal with it another way. That way, we won't talk about now. Maybe ever, hopefully. So, here I come. I want that 27%.

3 comments:

apriljahns said...

Better to do it with gusto the first time and blast the cancer, right?

Unknown said...

where did you read this study? I searched for it on google and it didn't come up.
Love
G

Kay said...

Hi Heather,

I have been reading your blog from the beginning, you are always in my thoughts and prayers. I came accross your blog from the TN Foundation site doing research, as my sister has been dealing with triple negative breast cancer since April 2, 2008. She has had 4 rounds of the AC, and today she is on her 5 round of 12 Taxol treatments. I believe that is the standard for treating most triple negative, but every case is unique. Do speak to your doctor about this. You are really handeling this very well!!!! My sister had a really difficult time with the AC, but the Taxol is much easier on her. You have the right attitude and will get through this!!!! I know tomorrow is round 2 of the AC for you and will be thinking and praying for you. Hang in there after tomorrow your half way through the AC, and trust me after the AC it all starts getting better. If my sister can do it you can too!!!!

God Bless xo