Welcome to THE CLUB YOU CAN'T BELONG TO

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Sleeping, and then not

I have had to teach myself how to sleep again. Last night was my first night since the whole hospital incident that I fell asleep for almost 8 hours. I have been going to sleep around 8:30-9:30ish and waking around 5-6 am. I was so excited that I managed to do this last night, that I was hopeful this was going to continue. I was wrong. Tonight I went to bed around 8:30 again, but I just woke up in a panic, layed in bed trying to talk myself down, and finally am up haphazardly watching Saturday night live and writing here. The Jonas brothers are on SNL and I just don't get why little girls are so in to these guys.
Before cancer, I was always an excellent sleeper, my entire life. Pretty much as soon as my head hit the pillow I'd fall fast asleep. I might wake up with a nightmare, but was always able to calm myself down, if I had to I'd wake up and journal about a bad dream, but I'd be able to go back to sleep. But now, what happens is I wake up from in a panic over one thing or another. Tonight it was the realization that I have come to terms, fully with the idea of "what if" my cancer comes back, and what will I do. I have not come to terms with it on such a scale that I've called and made the plans, but I at least know what I'd do and who I'd call, and what I'd say, and who I'd let in/out of my life. Because, I am not going to "fight" to live, and "kill" and "poison" myself again with chemo. But then again, the plan I have is only a plan, and hasn't been and hopefully will never be "challenged" by the actual event, that could/may/very well change all that I have and will say here. : )
But, I woke up with the realization that I have given enough energy to my "what if plan" and this was neccessary. I am a planner at the core, and I need to not be crucified by shock if "it" comes back. This very well may kill me and take me down emotionally. I can only have this happen to me once, and that day was June 2, 2008.
So...I've planned enough, thought enough, and now, NOW I need to let it go. I need to now be in the present moment again, know that that plan is in the corner, under that rug, and hopefully I never need to pull the rug back and use this plan. So, there you go little plan, little idea, there is your resting place. And now, I need to be in the present moment, and in this realization in my sleep, I woke up in a panic, or should I say the little hippie in me woke up in a panic. Because I started to worry that I have thought about this too much, and that if I don't get a grip on it, I could be creating a "situation". But the realist in me understands that the hippie is being ridiculous and that if "it" comes back, it wasn't and isn't my fault and there is nothing I could've done differently. But still, the hippie is winning out here. Basically because I don't feel its healthy for me to think about my demise. So, I am started thinking about this over and over, and the survivor in me that wants to live started to panic about this whole freakin' thing and I tried to sooth myself into going back to sleep but I couldn't.

I couldn't because of the obvious reasons. The old sleeper didn't have BIG stuff like this to mull over, and did I mention to you that since I've been done with chemo my chemopausal symptoms have been full on again? Hot flashes constantly. So, I lay in bed with hot flash after hot flash. Whipping on and off the covers. And the more I think, it seems the thoughts trigger hot flashes, and they come in waves. So....after about an hour of this ridiculous crap, I got out of bed and luckily SNL is on.

2 comments:

tamara said...

Hi Heather!
i can't wait to see you this week...

I can share what I do as a hyper-virgo with those thoughts during the night...I tell myself I'll have the same brain tomorrow morning that I have right now, and I can trust that brain to solve it then. The little notepad next to the bed is the other key, tho usually it's writing a note with a lipliner on a scrap of magazine. I know you know all this, but my little virgo helper simply had to share. :)

Tell your little hippie that, when it comes to the cancer, there's something bigger than she is. I mean, given that you could easily have won the award of 'least likely to ever get cancer' before all of this happened, it's not exactly fair for her to be pushy NOW.

Also, I gotta say, maybe this little hippie isn't totally benevolent all the time? I mean, she is kinda giving you a hard time sometimes...as someone who struggles to tell mean little voices to shut up, I kinda want to tell her she's being a little mean to you.

apriljahns said...

1) I do not 'get' the Jonas brothers either. My niece is nuts over one of them. Eh.

2) Wouldn't it be nice if the brain had an off switch? I was taught if you think about 'it' then 'it' will happen. Kind of like the Secret stuff. After much internal fighting I have come to believe that in general if we are happy we attract other happy people to us and if we are miserable then we will attract miserable people to us. Generally speaking. But this whole thinking about illness making you sick - I'm done with that part of it. It ends up eating your brain and soul.
Good luck putting duct tape on your inner hippie's mouth. : )