Welcome to THE CLUB YOU CAN'T BELONG TO

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Another thing not to say

Two days ago, a sort of friend, there are many of those on an island, said to me, "Wow. You look like a boy." How does one reply to that? I was so hurt. The little girl in me wanted to say well, your an asshole, but I didn't. He didn't think, nor does he even know how incredibly hurtful a statement like that is to a woman just starting to grow hair back.

I just thought of a good idea. Making a list of things not to say to a person going through or finishing cancer treatment. If any of you that are on this journey, would like to add a few others here, that'd be great. Or you can email them to me. Might be a good little page in the book, but from the angle of our reaction. So that the newly diagnosed woman can laugh with our pain, and she herself not feel alone in hers.

3 comments:

apriljahns said...

That sounds so hurtful; I can't imagine what he was thinking (or not thinking as the case seems to be).

Tink1272 said...

I totally have a list, but I can't find it anywhere. As soon as I find it, I'll let you know.

Some people just don't get it.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

There's nothing to worry about

Think of how much money you're saving on shampoo and haircuts

When your hair grows back, it will be better

It's a good thing you lost your job as it would have been hard to work with this

Maybe you'll lose some weight on chemo..


There are more but that's what occurs to me now