Welcome to THE CLUB YOU CAN'T BELONG TO

Monday, May 11, 2009

A week of non-rest

I thought the house sit job out on Vashon would be a great idea. For years I have been longing to move out here. It just happens, that my massage practice more than tripled over night this month, and then my real esate business got the busiest its ever been, and 99% of all that work is in the city. Not on island. So, I have been leaving early in the mornings and like last night, didn't get back until 10 pm. I have only had a chance to have dinner with a few friends once. Moving to the island is totally out, at least not until my life is in a place that I can slow down a bit more.
The time alone has been wonderful. I do enjoy and am warmed my the heart connections out here, the lone peacock cry, and the stillness. And maybe being on the steroids and being agitated doesn't help me get to a place of relaxation as well. Not sure. All I know is that I am never on island it seems, and so I cancelled my month long jaunt for June/part of July out here. Its just too much. I need to be in the city, with all my stuff, and start to live life around that. Not more change right now. I need to integrate my selves first and then, maybe I can do crazy stuff later.
I was too late on renting the covered shelter at the park in WS. Which is fine. I am thrilled for the new plan. I've rented an incredible place on island, that will house my family for the weekend, and then I can invite a few close friends to celebrate my life. I am excited to do this. So, sorry all. I will have the rager (haha) next year!
At a drop of a hat, anything can and does throw me for a loop. I cannot wait to see my cardio on Wed to hopefully get the steroid reduced. Here's a great example.
Last night, I massage a new client couple. The wife I don't see, as she's putting the kids to bed. I massage the husband, wash my hands, (now the whole time wiping my eye with my shirt sleeve because its still a wee bit watery) and I'm in the kitchen washing my hands and the wife comes in. Introduces herself by saying, did he tell you what happened to me this week? She got pink eye on Friday (a few days ago) and she wanted to know if I wanted to give her a massage still. It was incredibly difficult for me to not want to strangle her, as she now has put me at a huge risk of getting this. Its very catchy. She didn't even call me and give me the chance to make my own decision if I wanted to walk into her house. I was so pissed. INCREDIBLE! I was as gracious as I could be. But when she said, well call me if you get it, and I said, "Oh, I will. Because I'll have to cancel with everybody." I mean, please. Right? Oh, here I go again.
So, the normal Heather might just be upset for a few minutes and then let it go. But the steroid Heather was upset and cried all the way to the ferrry, on the ride across the water, and then I even woke up in the middle of the night and rehashed it some more.
All the time, trying to calm myself down. I think its one of the lamest things that a client has ever done in my 14 years of practice. The husband could have warned me. Or earlier in the day, when I spoke to her to confirm the appointment she could have mentioned her eyes were all itchy, weepy. and oozy from Pink Eye! Okay, well. now I am laughing. Some people, I don't get!

I'm seeing my Onc on Wed as well. I will not be touching my eyes today. When the get wet, I will have to dab them with a new tissue, and then wash my hands immediately, just in case.

4 comments:

tamara said...

Hi!
Just FYI, it seems idiotic, and I agree she's an idiot, but I don't think everyone knows to call if they aren't feeling well. I personally know someone who I had to tell to call you to let you know they had been ill for a few days. So I think it's worth reminding people because for some reason it's not obvious. Maybe it's because people think of massagers as healers, and of course you don't think you have to cancel an appt with a doctor when you are sick.
XO

Anonymous said...

Okay, on the FYI! : )

I guess I need to make something clear. My immune system is awesome, and I don't have to worry anymore than any healthy person about catching something. The lowered immune system is in the past, happily.
But pinkeye, ringworm, you know all those really catchy things...call your therapist and let them know ahead gang! : )

apriljahns said...

I can not believe they didn't tell you! Pink eye?!!! Such rude, inconsiderate morons!

Roxanne said...

So happy to have found your blog. My prayers are with you!! Roxanne www.roxannesjourney.blogspot.com