Welcome to THE CLUB YOU CAN'T BELONG TO

Monday, August 11, 2008

Happy-Happy, Joy-Joy

Today was a fun day. I got my port injected with a radioisotope of some kind to make sure that it was working correctly. I am one of those "really in tune" girls that can feel the AC going in. They wanted to make sure that everything was working correctly, and sure enough it is. I have waited for almost three hours to see my Oncologist. I got an award today, for making the longest wait to see him, he said. I didn't have a set appointment and so I got to wait and wait some more. The old Heather would have been pissed, I mean pissed. But what I said out loud to all the other ladies waiting for their appointments was, "Hey, I don't mind. My life is on hold anyways." And I meant it. I was just bored out of my mind. I had time to set up two of my friends on a blind date, that's always fun for a married woman!!
My doctor decided that my infection hadn't cleared up enough to do chemo this week. He wants me to start up like I was supposed to on August 20th. I just skipped a whole treatment. There is a part of me that was scared and asked him if I should be. He said that it is very common for someone to skip an entire chemo treatment once. If it happens again he said he won't be happy. I am a bit nervous that that may happen, since I have had such a hard time out of the gate. Let's keep our fingers crossed. So that was the bad news. But the good news is that this couldn't have happened at a better time!! Our house is set to have photographs taken this friday and to go on the market on Monday. So, that means I won't be all out of my mind with sickness and it will be smooth. Phew!!
I am now sitting waiting to have more IV antibiotics. I have been at the hospital for four hours and should be here for another hour. My doc ordered me to have two more days of IV antibiotics and then said I need to see him again on Wednesday. Hopefully my hand will be all better by then, and we'll just stick to the oral antibiotics. The reason he doesn't want to risk giving me chemo this week, is that even if the swelling goes down this week, my WBC count drops dramatically each time I do chemo. The risk is that the infection would still be lingering a bit and then I'd get the full blown infection again! YIKES!! I hope I never again have to have that kind of pain in my hand again!! So, there is good news. I get to wait for another ten glorious days to fill my body up with that toxic shit! Happy Happy, Joy-Joy!!!

2 comments:

tamara said...

yay! what fantabulous timing!
:)

Tink1272 said...

I skipped a chemo, too. Everything turned out ok. :-)

I'm glad that you won't be sick during all the house stuff, that makes it so much better!