Welcome to THE CLUB YOU CAN'T BELONG TO

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Do Breast Self-Exams Do Any Good?

For those of you that have followed religiously, you will now about this article (though I think you should take the time to read it) and for those of you that follow along when life allows here's my quick story.  
The original MD I saw told me that there are new stats showing that breast self-exams do more harm than good.  Of coarse when I was still on the "normal" side of things I started telling everyone this new news.  Now that I am on the breast cancer side, and  a women that found my lump myself, and a woman that has learned that most young women are the ones that find their own tumors I am outraged that the original doc told me this.  This article shows a miniscule difference of only 3 women in a control group.  If more Doctors are telling young women like myself to not check their boobs because of this ridiculous study, I believe many young women will die from this.
We need to keep educating women that they DO need to check their breasts.  If this study keeps telling Doctors to tell their patients to not do self- exams, I think in 10 years all the work that has been done will be taken away.  I am floored that there is such a small difference and that the Doctor I heard this from made it seem like there was such a huge difference!  Check it out, and keep checking your boobs girls.  If you don't want to, then think of me, and maybe that will kick you into gear.
If you find a lump, measure it, and watch it like a hawk.  I keep thinking of making "Boobie Journals" for us girls.  I know, one more thing to do, but if you don't start doing it, maybe you won't be here to do those One More Things.


http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1823096,00.html?cnn=yes

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Heather, This very thing was a topic on the ABC news tonight. However, they said that if and when you find it, it is already big. Of course we know that the mammograms don't see it until it's "too late". Not really too late, it is growing. With TNBC, the tumor is aggressive, and can grow by leaps and bounds in a very short time. Almost literally over night. You are right to advise young women and older women, to check their breasts regularly. If they even find a teeny tiny lump, they should go to the doctor immediately and demand that they have a mammogram.You and only you know your body, and what is normal and what is not. You do know that bc does not always rear it's ugly head immediately as bc. Sometimes a severe back problem can be ignored by the medical profession, and then a lump appears in the breast. It has already metastisised. Keep telling it like it is sweetie!!
Hugs,
Nancy