Welcome to THE CLUB YOU CAN'T BELONG TO

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Wrap my brain around what?

My web of life is spinning in a new direction today, at least my mind would like me to believe this.  Today, I caution myself to again stay in the present moment as now, I am wondering about the future again.  This future that I wonder/worry about is one that belittles the very fact that I had breast cancer removed from my breast.  Since its not in my nodes, I find myself lessening the fact that I have/had breast cancer.  I feel like I am in an in between state.  Do I have breast cancer in my body anywhere else?  Isn't that why I need to do chemo and radiation?  If I don't and my Doc's knew that for sure, then I wouldn't need to do any other treatments.  Which brings me back to the present moment of forcing myself to wait until I see my Oncologist on the 8th.  I will then sit down and listen to his treatment plan.  
I guess the part of me that wants to make me not having breast cancer a big deal is the part of me that is still in shock.  Shock that I had it in my breast first of all, and secondly, that it isn't in my nodes.  Why was that one so huge, I wonder?  I just have to not minimize it at this point.  I have to keep saying out loud to myself, so that I can believe that its true.  I find myself still saying to D, to my sis, to my friend Gen, to anyone, "Can you believe I have breast cancer?"  The question no one will ever know, is if "It" was "All" cutout the other day, or if I in fact do have breast cancer cells elsewhere, and yes, it will be good that I do the treatment to kill those little avengers.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Heather
The very best results that you could expect from your surgery!!
Reading your journey this past week has made me relive mine 3 1/2 yrs ago. Very similar. I ended up having two tumors back to back (1.5 cm each) once they got in there, with a minute trace of cancer in my first sentinel node but the other 4 were clear. Wrestled with having chemo or not - the oncologist said it was borderline whether I needed it. You have to do what feels right for you, if given the choice to proceed or not with chemo. In my case it felt like something I should do. I had a very progressive oncologist who supported me working with my naturopath as well-hope you do to!!
The hardest thing I found was letting other people help me - I was always the one helping everyone else and being strong for them. It is hard to feel weak. Thank you for sharing so much with us.